Cindy Summerhill
READ 5572
Module three
February 20, 2010
1.Three things I gleaned from the readings on vocabulary include, how some students are word conscious. They are aware of the words around them the words they hear, speak, write and read. These students appreciate the power of words and they are able to understand why some words are used instead of others. As a teacher I need to include word conscious in my vocabulary program. Have lessons that focus on the words that used everyday in the classroom because evidence is showing that the lack of vocabulary is a key component to school failure for disadvantage students. A second concept is in the section titled Promoting Word Play. I like making learning fun. Students respond to things when they are enjoyable. For example teaching idioms, homophones and homographs. If the teacher makes it hands on by having students draw or act it out the students make it their own and they learning as they are doing it. The third thing I gleaned is the importance of read alouds to students. During the reading you an talk about the words in a story or another word you could use instead. Expanding a child's vocabulary can be life changing for them. When they understand what they are reading and can apply it to their everyday lives by reading something for homework or for joy can open a new world for them and hopefully a love for reading.
2.My curriculm I use has words picked out of the weekly read alouds to use for vocabulary instruction. I intend to use this information to make it better for my kids not have as something I may or may not get to but make it just as imporatnt as having phoneme awareness. I want to open their minds to different words in the hopes that they realize reading is the best gift they can be given.
3. I used the strategy of repetition for learning new words in my classroom. My students learn two new words a week that we put on the word wall. I have them use in a sentence spell them build them with letter tiles and during wholegroup flash the words to them. During small group instruction I go over the words with them and give them letter tiles to build the words, read them and use them in a sentence. This seems to help them remember the word and how to use it when speaking or writing.
Hi Cindy! I was looking at your facebook pictures last night. Holy cow! Your kids are so beautiful! And Ryan is SO tall!!! Oh my goodness! You are very blessed to have such a gorgeous family.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your module reflections. I can tell that you are a phenomenal teacher. Are you using any of the strategies in your own readings? If so, what do you think?
What school are you teaching at?